Young Jazz Musician Scholarship
The Board of Jazz In The Valley has established a monetary scholarship for the benefit of graduating high school student and transfer students wishing to pursue music studies at Central Washington University, with an emphasis in jazz performance and study.
The scholarship is awarded to an eligible student based upon specific criteria, is for one year only, and cannot be renewed. The amount of the scholarship is variable, depending upon market conditions and other factors that have a direct effect upon JIV's invested funds.
For 2015, JIV expects to offer two Jazz Studies scholarships:
- $1000 scholarship for a new student entering the Jazz program
- $500 scholarship for a returning student
Eligibility For Application:
- The student applying for the JIV Scholarship must apply to and be admitted by CWU.
- The student applying for the JIV Scholarship must apply to, audition and be admitted as a music major to the CWU Music Department. During the audition process at CWU, the applying student must perform a jazz audition for at least one CWU Jazz faculty member.
- The student applying for the JIV Scholarship must express an intention to major in music at CWU, with an interest in jazz performance.
- The student applying for the JIV Scholarship must express an intention to audition as a CWU Jazz Major when allowed for in their course of study.
- The student applying for the JIV Scholarship, while at CWU, must audition for and perform in at least one large jazz ensemble continuously during the year of the award.
- The student applying for the JIV Scholarship must apply for the scholarship through a written letter to the JIV Education Committee. The letter must state specifically how the student meets, or will meet, the criteria outlined above.
- As an option, the applying student may wish to include a recommendation letter from a music educator that knows the relative ability and skill level of the applying student in the jazz idiom.
- CWU Jazz Faculty, in conjunction with the JIV Education Committee, will make determinations for scholarship awards based upon talent, expressed interest and any other circumstances that would contribute to a decision to award monies
- Scholarship monies will be distributed to the winning student through the Financial Aid Office of CWU. Should the winning student not attend CWU, the offer will be withdrawn and made to another student.
- Applicants should mail their Application Letter and any additional materials (postmarked on or before May 31, 2015) to:
P.O. Box 214
Ellensburg, WA 98926